Re: [LUG] Ubuntu display settings

On 9 February 2011 14:51, Admin <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/02/11 14:01, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> However the Ubuntu PC goes into a low resolution mode, but
> the original 1024 x 768
> screen is available by moving the
> cursor to the edge of the screen, then the view
> slides
> across. Is this what used to be known as virtual desktop?

According to Wikipedia yes, although I hadn't heard the term used for
being able to pan around a desktop in this fashion, it does happen when
the resolution is smaller than the desktop, and has occasionally saved
me time fighting X problems in days long gone.

> When I try to set the Ubuntu PC to 1280 x 1024, it rabbits
> on about "graphics driver
> does not support necessary
> extensions" and invites me to use the graphics driver
> vendor's tool, which doesn't work. Rebooting didn't help.

What graphics card and driver are you using.

I'm assuming you have a non-free graphics driver or some such oddity?

> Have any of you met a similar problem before, and how did
> you get out of it please?

Almost invariably hand editing the X86config file but that was a long
time ago in terms of X, not least the file has been renamed since then.

My guess is if it supports 1280x1024 at all, then you should be able to
persuade it to stick in that mode permanently fairly easily by creating
an xorg.conf file, but hopefully we can do better than that.

 Simon

I have a very similar problem with Kubuntu 10.04. I installed to a widescreen laptop and on that, the display is fine. but, I connected an external 14inch screen later and the display does not adjust properly to it, when I use that instead.

I don't want to change the screen resolution, I want it to change automatically according to the screen in use at that time.

Any ideas?

Viv