Re: [LUG] Squeeze audio problems

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 08:22 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 08/02/11 07:54, tom wrote:
> >
> > Hearing some reports about audio being borked in squeeze - anyone?
>
> Not heard anything, Google says nothing since 2010 when Squeeze got the
> fix for Intel sound cards (well it was testing back then for a reason).
> So where are you hearing these rumours?

I run, quote "Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution
based on Debian Testing" and I've had a strange audio problem.  I have 2
nearly identical PC's based on AMD Athlon 64's, both with Mint Debian.
One ran audio perfectly on every app but the other would run sound on
Gnome Mplayer but not on Rhythmbox, Movie Player, Mplayer or Flash in
the browser.  The difference seemed to be in Pulse Audio which on the
good computer recognised the sound card but on the other didn't.  The
bad sound card (surprise, surprise) was an onboard Intel HDA SBx00
Azalia.  I disabled it and tried 3 other sound cards but Real Audio
didn't see any of them.  They were all being recognised by the kernel at
boot but not being passed to Pulse Audio.  I eventually bit the bullet
and re-installed Mint Debian with a CM8378 Analog Stereo card and
everything works fine.  (From my choice of cards you may deduce I'm not
into Hi Fi quality)

I did a lot of googling but couldn't find anything on how to get Pulse
Audio to look for a sound card.  There was a lot on how Pulse Audio
"just works".  And I decided that life was too short to find out how to
trawl through the boot sequence to find the problem.

I've been running this version of Debian with Gnome for about 3 weeks
now (it only came out at Christmas) and it seems good.  I may try it
with other desk tops when I get time.  Like David, I was driven away
from Mepis by KDE4, yet until then I swore I wouldn't touch Gnome.

George