Re: [LUG] OT: Cars was Re: Is anyone actually going today?

On 06/02/11 01:31, colin james wrote:

On 6 February 2011 01:25, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/02/11 00:37, colin james wrote:
I learned about engines by just opening the bonnet and doing it. I just
had to hope I could remember how to put it back together. Rebuilt loads
of engines and not broken one yet. I would say just get a good set of
sockets and a haynes manual.

That's good to know.  I used to do little bits on my old 205 from the Haynes manual but never really learnt much about any other car I had.  I guess it's a handy thing to know though especially since I spent lots on car repairs on my last car.

Rob

Most cars are still quite basic to work on even with all the modern electronics. The mechanical bits are just hidden behind plastic. Modern cars are easier to find the problem if you invest in the diagnostic cable and get the software (windows only i think). My mate got a kit on ebay a few years ago. I seem to remember him paying around £25 but could be wrong.
On a lot of modern cars there is an attempt to prevent you accessing the cars computer via DRM laws etc. There was a law going through the European Parliament to make it illegal to have your car looked at anywhere other than an approved garage. Not sure if it got kicked out or put to one side for later.
Tom te tom te tom