Re: [LUG] "Piracy is the Holywoods's own damn fault"

On 02/02/11 23:44, Rhia Knowles wrote:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110202/12013712931/nbc-universal-study-shows-that-its-hollywoods-own-damn-fault-so-much-content-is-pirated.shtml

TL;DR version: If Holywood stopped being morons, let people stream
content from Hulu and other sites worldwide instead of just in the US,
and made things available worldwide much sooner,most people wouldnt
pirate movies and TV shows, a study finds.

Interesting quote there, I agree too. I watch a lot of US TV, okay I know it's dodgy downloading the shows but I always buy the box sets when the come out on the UK market or in the case of shows like Chuck, I actually source the Bluray's from the US or Canada, assuming they're multi region anyway (I was lucky that Chuck is multi region and plays fine on my PS3).

If I could stream from the likes of Hulu I'd even be happy to watch ad breaks of targeted advertising (so UK targeted advertising or whatnot). It also has the benefit that it counts against the shows viewing figures. I dare say thousands, if not hundreds of thousands or even millions (in the case of big shows like 24, Lost etc) of people download these shows via torrents or other means and the figures (and advertising revenue) is lost out on. Seems like NBC might finally be twigging.

In the case of Chuck, I'm a big fan of it so I reguarly tweet about it (to my 10 or so followers :-D) and make a point of going out and buying Subways (Subway is one of the big sponsors of Chuck, a big thing that Chuck fans did was to buy lots of Subs when Chuck was on, even when it was repeated, leaving comment cards at Subway to show that we're buying Subways because they support our favourite show). In fact a couple of years back when Chuck was possibly not going to be renewed, Zack Levi (who plays the main character Chuck) was at a convention in the UK, he took about 200 or so people with him to a nearby Subway, then got behind the counter and made over 200 subs which not only appeared on Youtube, but also must have been been noticed by Subway).

So yeah, it would be nice to have Hulu available over here, I keep hoping it'll happen so I can catch my shows in a more legitimate way, but I guess it's not just NBC that has to agree.

Rob