Re: [LUG] Firewall - Paranoia v Cost

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM, David Bell
<grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Having run an IpCop box between my desktop PC/laptop and router for several
> years I wonder if it is really necessary these days with routers having built
> in firewalls.

Are you running any services inside your network and do you have port
forwarding or DMZ enabled on the router? If not then you are not
really gaining anything very much using the IPCOP box as well. The
router will refuse any incomming connections to any port because of
NAT anyway. The PCs on your network are hidden from the internet by
the NAT not because the router is specifically a firewall. Just verify
that the router itself does not expose its admin interface to the
world

the IPCOP box would probably be more useful if you needed to run
exposed servers and/or you have complex firewall rules beyond block
all incomming and let me connect to the internet type rules.

Robin