Re: [LUG] Firewall - Paranoia v Cost

I use a smoothwall box, have done 24/7 for at least 8 years, as long as there are muppets trying to get in, it will stay.

Nick

On 25 Jan 2011 13:28, "David Bell" <grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Having run an IpCop box between my desktop PC/laptop and router for several
years I wonder if it is really necessary these days with routers having built
in firewalls.

Currently, if I run just my laptop and Speedtouch router, PCFlank tells me
that I pass all the intruder etc. tests with flying colours: whilst using a
grand total of 45 watts.

Is the addition of my IpCop box worth the extra 50 watts and noise? The
equipment runs continuously for about 14 hours each day.

--
W. Devon