Re: [LUG] Evolution filters

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM, kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 08:47 +0000, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Does any one use Filters in evolution to do anything other than sorting
>> > Mail?
>> >
>> > I have tinkered with doing a Mail filter where an EMail is printed as
>> > soon as it arrives in the inbox ( this is for receiving orders form
>> > customers).
>> >
>> > So far I have a filter working and using the pipe feature in Evolution I
>> > can just pipe it to LPR
>> > This gives me a printed sheet with all the rubbish you get (ie headers
>> > etc) with an Email but the filter dose work very well.
>> >
>> > Does anyone  already have a script to Start printing from the message
>> > Body? so I can pipe it to that then LPR it at the end? or clean up the
>> > Email before piping it to LPR?
>> >

>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Kevin Lucas
>>
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> I dont have the script that you are asking for. But to loose the email
>> headers could you just use grep, something like....
>>

>> cat evolutionEmail | grep -i -A 100 '*subject*' | lpr -p
>>

>> Best wishes
>> roly
>>
> Thanks Roly
>
> I have looked at each Mail and can see the message body starts after the
> fist blank line so ...
>
>  sed '1,/^$/ d' <Email | lpr
>
> removes the Header but if the Email is HTML  it leaves another 1 or 2
> pages of rubbish after the Mail
>
> But we have Progress..
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin Lucas

How about html2text program? The description in the ubuntu repository says....

 html2text is a converter from HTML to plain text.
 .
 html2text reads HTML documents supplied in the command line (or from standard
 input), converts each of them into a stream of plain text characters and
 writes output to the file or the terminal. It is able to produce ISO 8859-1 or
 ASCII text."

or perhaps using sed to strip the html

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/330/remove-html-tags-from-a-file/

Bit out of my depth now, so over to you/others lol

Cheers roly :-)