Re: [LUG] lane does something sensible?

On 20/01/11 08:35, Paul Hirst wrote:
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 16:51 +0000, tom wrote:

Its a pc so a mobile dongle is really only of use where you cant get BB.
And where cant you get BB - generally the same remote places you cant
get mobile. So we're going to be subsidising the mobile operators (not
Remploy)  to put in infrastructure so they can make a fortune from other
users. That's why mobile data is expensive - because they make a lot of
profit out of it!
The more I look at it the more a farce it becomes - apart from the linux
bit.
Tom te tom te tom
I actually think it makes a lot of sense using the mobile dongle. They
are selling a package aimed at people with no computing experience who
are probably scared of how complicated it all is.

They have managed to distil it down to, buy this box, plug in the power
lead, monitor, keyboard, mouse and off you go. I suspect they provide
some decent instructions to get people through the complexity of all
that.

I think trying to get broadband into the mix is just too complex for the
people this is aimed at. Saying you have to have the computer next to
the phone socket is not good enough and getting wifi involved is bound
to just add confusion and cost and another thing to go wrong/not work
properly.

I think it's a neat and surprisingly cheap solution.

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United
Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.

My experience of mobile is that coverage round here is about 10% - mine wont even work in Bradworthy!
Tom te tom te tom