Re: [LUG] lane does something sensible?

On 19/01/11 15:40, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, tom wrote:

On 19/01/11 12:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, tom wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/17/lanefox_pcs_for_all/

A bit more here:

http://www.techspot.com/news/42005-uk-government-to-offer-pcs-for-98-internet-for-9.html
And in /. this morning too.

Mobile broadband rather than fixed-line. Very intersting (for me, for some of the stuff I'm doing right now)

Gordon

Ah so a money making scam under the guise of getting people on line then!

How so?

I can't see this making money at all.

And there's nothing wrong with making money - is there? Someone has to pay for the mobile infrastructure at some point, and mobile data is very expensive... Three are claiming they're rolling out over 100 new base stations a month with promises of up to 14Mb/sec... Someone has to pay for that...

Gordon
Someone will have to pay - the taxpayer.
I haven't found any details of how its to be set up but I bet the taxpayer will foot most of the bill. Its a pc so a mobile dongle is really only of use where you cant get BB. And where cant you get BB - generally the same remote places you cant get mobile. So we're going to be subsidising the mobile operators (not Remploy) to put in infrastructure so they can make a fortune from other users. That's why mobile data is expensive - because they make a lot of profit out of it! The more I look at it the more a farce it becomes - apart from the linux bit.
Tom te tom te tom

Tom te tom te tom