Re: [LUG] Comments - and junk

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Anyone on the LUG had anything similar? If there are any comments, suggestions and advice I would be grateful. Meanwhile the moral of the story is - keep a careful eye on your website.

Yup. Happens all the time. It even happened to the opendevon site before I worked out how to stop it.

Basically, it's not going to go away - there are people being paid to write software to autmatically post spam comments to blogs - and (worse!) people being paid to create accounts on as many blog, etc. sites as they can (had any email work from home spams? That's what they sometimes are..) and upload the users & passwords to the spammers who then attack them with their robots...

You need to start to use things like Captchas - those things that try to prove you're a human by asking you to type in some mangled word or number, but even then, some have been broken by clever image recognition software (or humans) so there are other tricks too - a bit of javascript to detect a real browser rather than a robot and so on.

Constant vigilance, etc. ...

Gordon