Re: [LUG] OT: Fibre to the cabinet

"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Andrew Pearce wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Not sure if there are anymore lug members in the chiverton area,  but
>FTTC
>> orders will be accepted
>> by BT on monday 17th.
>
>Remember, you do not need to use BT.
>
>ISPs who can provide a service via FTTC other than BT include Entanet
>(via
>a reseller), Zen, AAISP, Aquiss, Xilo and several others.
>

>Entanet (who I resell) are charging a Â40+VAT (re)install fee then
>they're
>currently insisting that customers take the "Business 45" package as a
>minimum which is Â25.95+VAT (monthly contract, 45GB data cap between
>8am
>and 8pm - uncounted outside those times but may be subject to traffic
>shaping)
>
>You'll likely be charged an install fee even if you have a MAC as the
>installation currently involves a site visit by a BT engineer to fit a
>new
>faceplate and modem. You'll need a mains socket near your master BT
>socket
>for the modem. Connection to the BT modem is via Cat 5/Ethernet so
>you'll
>need a new router to connect to your existing LAN - the router needs to
>
>support PPPoE via it's WAN port. (Most "cable" routers do although it's
>
>not used with VM cable)
>
>The BT engineer may be confused if you're going with an ISP that's not
>BT,
>as BT (retail) typically post a new router out to FTTC customers...
>Just
>go with the flow...
>
>I note in the latest round of FTTC exchanges, that Devon added just one
>
>more - Dartmouth ...
>
>Good luck...
>
>Gordon--
>The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG
>http://mailman.dclug.org.uk/listinfo/list
>FAQ: http://www.dcglug.org.uk/listfaq

It's interesting to see that they're roiling out more cabinets in Devon, although
what I've read on Think Broadband for instance suggests that even when an exchange
is upgraded not every cabinet is. I guess it some cabinets still might not be
economical to upgrade (maybe due to theamount of premises attached maybe?)

Still it's good news for those who are going to be able to get it for not much more
than up to 8/24 meg broadband.

Rob
--
Sent from my ZX Spectrum