Re: [LUG] Help with Netboot procedure from Desktop to laptop!

On 09/01/11 00:02, Rhia Knowles wrote:
Ok, so the situation is I have a shiny new HDD for my lappy, and have
been trying with minimal success to get something newer then Mint 7 on
it, since this is now obsolete.

Desktop IS running 10.10 which was installed from one of the USB pens
I made, so this lappy being a stubborn bugger
Rob suggested I try a netboot, and i found a tutorial @
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/QuickNetboot

these instruction fail at then end of step 3:
"Then restart dnsmasq with the following command:

invoke-rc.d dnsmasq restart    "
This is the final setup step, the instructions after are verifying
that all is set up...

Now im not sure if its cos the desktop is on wifi net with router
doing DHCP, but i gave the ethernet which is just it and lappy a
static ip of 10.0.0.1 netmask of 255.255.0.0 which should make it a
completely different network to 192.168.0.*, 255.255.255.0 which is
being given out by router, unless i misremember somehow...

anyway, anyone got any pointers? I'll jump on the LUG IRC channel
tomorrow, probably be off and on for most of the day, TBH, the way
Sundays go in this house.

Not sure about dnsmasq, I only use that on my server for DNS caching, for netbooting I use dhcp3-server and tftpd-hpa

I think you may well need to disable DHCP on the router as DHCP will provide extra options to the machine which is netbooting (looking at my server's dhcpd.conf if it gets the vendor class PXEClient from the NIC it will then give the filename pxelinux.0 (which is the PXE version of syslinux), pxelinux will then look on the server for the file default (or a filename matching the mac address or UUID of the machine), I'm not sure if it looks on the DHCP server for this or if it can be configured to look at another server.

Basically though I'd say disable DHCP on the router, or even better connect both your laptop and desktop together via a switch or crossover cable (you may even be able to use a straight cable as I gather your laptop has a Gigabit port which should support connecting directly to another machine, at last it does if you connect two machines with gigabit ports together) and then configure dnsmasq to provide DHCP, DNS and TFTP.

Rob