Re: [LUG] Computer recycling

On 05/01/11 18:35, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 05/01/11 15:01, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Alex Mclennan
>> <entu.windsword@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:entu.windsword@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>> hi all,although unofficial i try to recycle as much computer parts as i
>> can,rebuilding and putting on freecycle exeter.so if any one gets stuck
>> and needs a computer just email me.
>> i am sure i will have something that is usable,or call 01395576780 or
>> 07999250238.
>> ps if the dclug needs any towers for demo purposes let me know.
>> alex the noob(sidmouth)
>>

>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> That's generous of you :-) I may take a few bits from you. Wont be until
>> the summer time though, is that's ok.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Roly :-)
>>

> I'm hoping to do a bit of computer recycling this weekend :-)
>
> I've managed to get two old P3 Toshiba laptops from work which I'm going
> to bung some Linux distro on and provide them to Surestart for kids to
> use things like TuxPaint on.
>
> Not sure how well it'll work out as I'm looking at trying to get them a
> cheap wifi colour printer and a couple of PCMCIA wifi cards (if anyone
> has any kicking around, even just 11Mbit cards let me know).
>
> I figured laptops would be better for them as they're small enough to
> stick in a plastic storage box so they can be shared across the
> Surestart centres in Torbay.
>
> Rob

I have one of toms NEC computers here, the motherboard is duff but I
have put a new PSU in, so a basic p4 motherboard (or what ever this can
take) would be nice to get it up and running.

I also have lots of pc100 and similar ram sticks if anyone needs some
for building stuff

IIRC we were planning some sort of computer building session it would be
nice to get something organised on this front, perhaps during the summer
when Roly and myself are definatly free and not tied up with uni work or
rugby etc.

summer also better as it does not get dark early and is warmer.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day