Re: [LUG] Ubuntu-Powered Tablet Coming In 2011

On 29/12/10 19:22, Gibbs wrote:
On 29/12/10 16:30, tom wrote:
Android is really a fork of linux hidden behind a lot of java...
Tom te tom te tom
Yeah. I know a lot of tech sites separate Linux and Android as OS's. I'm guessing Android isn't "GNU/Linux" enough even though the kernel is Linux? Surely the same could be said for a few other distros that are put under the "Linux" umbrella?

Gibbs

The 'kernel' is linux but a lot of what should be in the kernel is overloaded in the java on top - google have been trying to get some mods added to the kernel so they don't have to re-write some of their stuff that I guess was written either to proprietise android or they just couldnt be bothered to read up on the linux kernel properly until they'd gone too far. My main worry about android is its reinventing the wheel, and like all attempts will reinvent flats, handling,road blocks and pile ups etc that have already been cleared out of most more mature setups ...except MS ...
Tom te tom te tom