Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On 19 December 2010 21:09, kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I feel a backup disk should be universal should you have no Pc running.
> So a format to suit Mac Windoze or Linux is the Ideal
> So leaving it as Fat32 should do unless you also want security.

Agreed, although Fat32 might not be the best choice in some situations.

an rsync from ext2/3/4 file system to vfat (and others) changes files
from upper to lowercase names. a FAT32 partition should be mounted
with the "shortname=mixed" option, otherwise rsync can duplicate
directories. the default option is "lower" which means that files and
directories with short names will have their names forced to lower
case. which makes rsync see them as different from source (upper case)
and will sync the upper case ones as well, resulting in duplicated
directories.

also in most cases it is desirable to maintain the advanced file
attributes of the ext2/3/4 source file system. which is automatic if
the target file system is also ext2/3/4. This is so that file
attributes and permissions etc are preserved should they need to be
restored.

Personally I favour Grant's suggestion of having a large EXT2/3
formatted external hard-drive partition for the backup data, with a
smaller universally accessible partition (say Fat32) which contains
the file access tools needed by Windows and MAC.

Bjorn
"He who laughs last probably made a backup"