Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:32:10 +0000
NW wrote:

> I am wondering about using an external hard drive as back up to my
> hard drive. I have never used one so I am wondering if it is a good
> idea.
>
> Also, any recommendations about which make? And do they come ready
> formatted and if so which format? would it be sensible to format it to
> say Ext4?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Neil

Kinda depends on what you want to use it for.  Most (but not all)
external hard-drives (ie those that are marketed and sold as such) will
come pre-formatted as FAT32 so they can be used in the widest set of
computers without any issues.  There's nothing stopping you from using
one of the FDISK tools (GUI or CLI) to change the filesystem type to
EXT2/3 and then format it as such.

If you're buying an enclosure and an internal hard-drive to put in it,
then the hard-drive may be pre-formatted, but usually they aren't.

As for backing-up - use whatever tool suits you best.  If you merely
wish to perform a duplicate of a particular directory onto said
external hard-drive, then rsync (as has been mentioned previously) does
the job nicely.

Grant.