Re: [LUG] External hard drives

 On 19/12/2010 17:32, NW wrote:
I am wondering about using an external hard drive as back up to my hard
drive. I have never used one so I am wondering if it is a good idea.

Also, any recommendations about which make? And do they come ready
formatted and if so which format? would it be sensible to format it to
say Ext4?

Thanks for any pointers.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I use a USB external to back up my system, but I think your first choice should be between a ready made USB drive, or buying an enclosure and drive separately. The latter has the advantage you can choose the make and size of drive that suits your purpose and preferences, rather than get stuck with whatever is in the unit you buy.

I use a caddy I bought from http://www.gizoo.co.uk - has the ability to take SATA or PATA drives, so you can put any old drive you have lying around into service, or buy a new one to slot into it.

Kind regards,

Julian