Re: [LUG] Helpdesk software ?

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone here use any sort of helpdesk software?

> I'm currently using cerberus, but am looking for some alternatives -
> preferably FLOSS...

Have you looked at any of the more generic "issue" trackers, although
these are usually directed at software development and bug reporting
they nearly always have customisable work flows and resolutions and i
would have thought would be usable for this situation. Not sure how
you would interface this with the inital email in to support but i
guess you could script something that opens an issue and emails back
the number etc without too much pain.

One i have been using recently is http://www.redmine.org/ (GPL), but I
do also quite like JIRA (commercial/non open, but free to use for
opensource projects), but there are handfulls of issue/bug trackers
out there and I guess the secret here is finding one that is closest
to the way you want to work (or easily configurable) and not the way
the software wants you to work.

Robin