Re: [LUG] Wifi connection

On 13/12/10 15:53, NW wrote:
I use Linux for all my work. My wife has a laptop using Windows XP. She
has picked up a virus, no surprise there then. While this is being
sorted out I have added her as a second user on my laptop which uses
Linux Mint.

I am the main user on this laptop and I can connect via wifi without
any problems, in fact that is what I am using now. However, when I test
the new user, just set up, I find that I cannot connect to the wifi. I
get some message about not finding the IP address. I have not changed
anything, of course.

It seems odd to me that I can log on to wifi automatically as me but not
as the new user. Can anyone suggest what I could do to sort this
please? Do I need to give her root privileges?

Thanks

Neil

I use only Debian but this PROBABLY applies also to Ubuntu.

wpa_gui for me solved all annoyances with wireless. (is also in ubuntu)

It can be set up to allow all users in group "netdev" to connect automatically to any configured network in range and to add new ones.

http://sidux.com/index.php?module=Wikula&tag=englishwparoaming

has a really good setup howto (I don't actually use sidux/aptosid)