Re: [LUG] Scsi Scanners and incompatibility

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, kevin wrote:

Hi all

I have been asked to scan in some 35mm Slides and have been lent a Nikon
Coolscan 3 gadget.
I looked at the sane website and found the Coolscan is supported for
Xsane so with my hopes up I routed around for a scsi pci card and found
one!
Then I ordered a Scsi cable 50 pin sub D type and one week later it
arrives.

So now all fired up I put the scsi card in my Desktop and ...
nothing.

lsmod and no scsi module loaded. lspci and no card?

Are you sure lspci reports nothing? If so, then card is broken then... Or maybe it needs a driver loading into an FPGA at boot time before it turns itself into a 'real' PCI device?

Tries two other Distros / PC and still nothing. The card is a SIIG card.

Never heard of it..

However Google has heard of it - and is listing lots of people having issues with it under Linux - from a long time back too.

I have some spare SCSI cards here - although I'm out of action until the end of next week, so can't post one to you, however ....

Do yourself a favour and BUY a copy of VueScan. It's a few million times better than anything currently avalable for free under any OS and fully supports batch and "workflow" modes for the Nikon scanners.

Gordon