Re: [LUG] Anyone on Eclipse?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Sam Grabham wrote:

Hi Gordon

Where did you hear this?, word of mouth or is there a link somewhere?

Directly from one of their support operatives in email.

I queried as I have a new client who's using Eclipse business account and I noticed their broadband was only syncing at 448Kb/sec, so I had a look on their web-site, then queried it with them and for that reply back.

To quote:

  "We don't currently offer a higher upload product so the upload speed is
   the same for Home or Business customers"

We have a Eclipse Business ADSL and a Leased Line, but this comes via KCOM which i believe to be it's parent company.

It is indeed - Kingston bought Eclipse a few years back.

We also have other ADSL lines that we feed from so i might not have notice lower bandwidth due to load balancing through an Linux equalizing route tables.

Check the actual sync rate on the router - however if you're on an ADSL2+ exchange it won't help as it's then up to 1.2Mb/sec, depending on line length.

i have used "iptraf" in the past to monitor traffic, Is there another easier option to view network traffic via gateway?

I use 'iftop' to check network interfaces, but look at the router (modem) sync speeds. That's the best way to tell what's potentially available - what you then get will depend on the BT wholesale network (which is generally regarded as relatively un-congested), and the ISPs own network. (and of-course the speed the remote site is able to get data out to you)

BTw offer 2 grades of service over their Wholesale ADSL network - standard and elevated. They used to use contention ratios - i.e. 50:1 for standard and 20:1 for elevated (business) but they changed the metrics a few years ago. The elevated one is evidenced by an upload sync speed of (up to) 832 Kb/sec on a standard ADSL line, but it's impossible to tell on an ADSL2+ lime as they're all set to 1.2Mb/sec max - unless the ISP deliberately throttles it. (by controls available to them to tweak the knobs on the BT side of things - e.g. I can set an ADSL2+ customer to 448K, or up to the max. the line will support via the Entanet control panel)

I was quite surprised and annoyed to find that Eclipse sell "Business" connections but don't subsequently use the elevated services that BT Wholesale offer. All they're giving is bigger monthly download caps.

Gordon