Re: [LUG] OT: How patents are wrong

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Philip Whateley wrote:

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 10:08 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 21/11/10 08:47, tom wrote:
I don't know it this is actually patented
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11803763

but Cleggy and Compo et all have been doing that for years.
Tom te tom te tom

Following on from the abve post,  the same page has a link to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11789191

looking at technology back in 1981

Looks really modern to those of us who started out programming FORTRAN
IV on an ICL 1903S mainframe and then graduated (literally in my case)
to a Commodore PET 2001-8.

Eeeee when I wur a lad, etc...

I started in about '78 at school with some HP desktop mini computer which ran a BASIC of some sorts.. It was one that used to travel round the schools in Edinburgh on a monthyl basis... We also had a TTY33 and an accoustic modem to connect to the local computing centre used as a teching resource (Moray House in Edinburgh - part of the Uny IIRC) Not long after that, my school (which was a new school so got lots of "stuff" to test early!) got 3 new microcomputers to evaluate, and I was lucky to be part of the schools evaluation - we got an Apple II, a Pet and a TRS80... No contest, we went with the Apple II, as did most schools in the region subsequently.

Back to the local time-sharing system and I was given a FORTRAN IV program which played Awari to make work better... Loaded off punched cards, played non-interactively... Those were the days...

Not sure if they were good days though! It was right in the time of transition from olde-fashioned codeing sheets/punched cards and new interactive computing - the uny I was at (Napier) were real sticks for the old ways and I think really struggled to cope with the incommers for the next few years of kids used to real-time/interactive "personal" computing facilities.

Gordon