Re: [LUG] Suggestion for a workshop - how to achieve a great Linux install

On 16/11/10 11:46, Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting Vivi Griffin <vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I have been very quiet for some time for various reasons, including
>> working
>> on a contract job and having spent some months organising a house
>> move. Now
>> installed in my new home, I have been spending some time installing a
>> new PC
>> for a good friend of ours, as a Christmas present. She currently uses
>> Suse
>> but, I have installed Kubuntu 10.04 for her as all the new things I
>> wanted
>> her to be able to do seem to work well.
>>
>> Some of the new functionality she will have with the new PC includes :
>>
>> A webcam and skype
>> Team Viewer remote control (so, I can help her with any issues more
>> easily)
>> DropBox for online backups (currently she doesn't backup at all & she
>> doesn't have anything very confidential on her PC)
>>
>> I found that turning a barebones install into a fully working desktop /
>> laptop system with all useful software installed and working is quite
>> a time
>> consuming process. In the past, I have done this over time but, doing
>> it all
>> in one go was quite different. In the process of installing & testing the
>> PC, I found out lots of useful information about what works well and what
>> doesn't. It occurred to me that sharing this information could save
>> others
>> doing an install lots of time, searching it out.
>>
>> Therefore, I thought it may be a good idea to have a workshop on this
>> topic
>> where members could share their knowledge on this subject.
>>
>> I now live in Moretonhampstead so, Newton Abbot is not far for me to
>> get to.
>> However, if just a few people are interested, I would be happy to host
>> such
>> a workshop at my home although numbers would need to be fairly limited as
>> our house is not huge.
>>
>> Initially, I just wanted to test the water to see if anyone would be
>> interested?
>>
>> Viv
>>

> Sounds good, although it might an that everyone argues the best way of
> doing things :-)
>
> Still I guess it's something that can be discussed so we can come up
> with some ideas.
>
> Rob

Well if this can be aimed at new users,  then surely having a talk on
how to get round some of the more common issues that come up is a good
thing.

thinking ahead to software freedom day 2011 (which we still need a venue
for), this could make a good talk during the day

On the subject of SFD can we look in to getting this on the agenda as
once we have a venue we can plan better for the day

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day