Re: [LUG] SMS message delivered protocol

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 07:36:40AM +0000, tom wrote:
> On 15/11/10 07:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> >
> >Not guaranteed. For example emails to me will never get
> >automatically acknowledged, no matter how you send them. The best
> >you'll be able to find out is the log-file of the last server you
> >have access to. Even if that's the one that connects to my
> >network, then the best you'd get is that it was accepted by the
> >server - you've no ideal what then happens - this is true for most
> >email systems now.

Meant to add that MS software I think automatically acknowledge: Outlook
used to have a feature that deleted sent emails. On Mutt I find it rather
amusing getting emails that say "please delete the previous message sent".
All it means is that I read the previous email a bit more carefully.

> >As far as I'm aware, it's effectively the (whole) company who's
> >the "local termination centre".

Hmm thats what I thought. I might run a few experiments (using Sipgate
and some other overseas messaging centres and see what happens)

> >You can ask your phone to give you a delivery report, but not all UK
> >networks support this. e.g. Orange charge a penny for it, but O2 doesn't
> >support it at all. (There is a bodge on O2 by prefixing the messages
> >with *0# but it's not perfect) Other mobile networks vary... The reply
> >seems to come when the phone gets the message, not when the user reads
> >the message...

This is what I used (Asda / Vodafone). The problem is that I think with
most UK networks the reply comes when the receivers telephone company gets
the message, not when the user gets the message.

However in some other countries, it is certainly when the user gets the
message. Hence I was wondering if there was a list of gateways that could
be used.

> >However there is a world of difference between delivered and
> >read.. Like email, best to treat it as 'fire and forget' ...
> >
> You can of course, if you NEED confirmation, agree some form of
> handshaking as 'proof' of acknowledgement of the message. Can be
> just as simple as replying to the message with no addition or
> pgp'ing a reply etc - can you do that in sms?
> Tom te tom te tom

You can reply with the message body. Failing which if urgent ring.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.