[LUG] SMS message delivered protocol

Some mobile phones / networks have a message delivered feature. An issue
came up the other day as to when a message was delivered to a phone.
(Partly because I feel that it is less intrusive to send a text than call a
mobile, when the other party could be busy.)

For emails, you can ask to be notified if a message is received: in this
the receiving email program sends an email back saying delivered.

For mobiles, if I look on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS, it seems that
"SMS messages are delivered to the operator's SMSC, but
not the subscriber's handset; the SMSC takes care of further handling of
the message through the SS7 network."

It goes on to draw distinctions between
-   local termination model. Aggregators lack direct access into the SS7
    protocol, which is the protocol where the SMS messages are exchanged.
    SMS messages are delivered to the operator's SMSC, but not the
    subscriber's handset; the SMSC takes care of further handling of the
    message through the SS7 network.
-  international termination model. The advantage of this model is the
   ability to route data directly through SS7, which gives the provider
   total control and visibility of the complete path during SMS routing.

So on mobiles in UK the "message delivered" option means the message is
delivered to the recipient operators via the local termination model?

Can anyone shed light or point me to a website that highlights which mobile
phone companies operation "local termination centres" or "international
termination model"

Thanks

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.