Re: [LUG] rsync - I'm getting lazy...

tom wrote:
On 08/11/10 12:08, Simon Waters wrote:
tom wrote:

My concern is whether to use it for things like thunderbird or mysql (I have a laptop that goes out sometimes) or is that just not on - do I have to find some simple 'groupware' for the server for tbird and clustering for mysql?

What are you trying to achieve?
I'm trying to have unified 'user experience'. Use any of the machines and get at the same data. The server is not powerful enough to do anything other than file serving/web proxy/mail server though. I do a bit of web/mysql development and at the moment I just copy the 'current' public_html tree and an sqlserver backup to whichever machine I feel like working on via the server but thats a few moments work - and I'm getting lazy so I was thinking that the server could probably handle being a 'master' in rsync .. but then svn might be better but not for the sql...

SVN or GIT - why not also have a script to dump the database backup into source code management (or at least schema and test data - I assume you already do the classic store the DDL change there anyway?

You can get thunderbird to cache imap mail server these days, which lets you read emails when offline (whatever that is), and you can queue them up to send.

MySQL - urm sounds a bad idea unless you just want a copy to demonstrate.

In these days of 3G broadband dongles free with your cereal, why mess around replicating data when you can access the master copy?

Not if 3g dont work here so its not worth paying for - and would probably require a new laptop... and a job to pay for the 3g...

Surely you don't need it to work there, you need it to work when you aren't there.... Wireless will do locally and is cheaper. Better yet now everyone has gone to 802.11{G|N|...} good old fashioned 11Mbps cards (and equipment) are yours for the price of postage and a few pennies and fast enough for 99% of what folks need.