[LUG] KDE 4/Kmail

I run KDE and have always liked it pre KDE 4.  I have always used Kmail with
no complaints, tried others (evolution, thunderbird, outlook (sorry, slipped
in)) but always gone back to Kmail.  In Kmail 1.9.9 your mails are displayed
in one long list which can be sorted by column, sender, date etc. by a click
on the header.

In Kmail 1.12.4/KDE 4.3.4 the mails are sorted by date into groups such as
Today, Monday, Sunday, Last Week, October etc.  Each group seems to be
treated as a separate entity so that it sorts by date, sender etc only within
each group.  For instance, I can't click on sender and get all the mails from
Fred Bloggs listed back to the year dot. I can't find a way to switch off
this layout, or is there a way?

I've looked at moving to Evolution or Sylpheed or Thunderbird but this brings
another problem.  My mailboxes are configured as maildir (each mail a
separate file) and can be either that or mbox (one big file, or enormous in
my case with over 2000 mails).  The 3 alternatives all seem to use mbox which
I'm reluctant to go to.  Or can they be changed to maildir?

I don't really like KDE 4 either.  It now seems to get in the way rather than
help the flow of work, or is it just me.  Maybe time for a change all round,
but I don't like Gnome either (sigh).

George