[LUG] simple mail server for winxp

Sorry to ask for this but I'm trying to help a friend do some web work in php and he's got mercury mail and a lot of the time mercury wont receive mail from php:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() i

it works some time and I'm assuming his xamp stack is ok so I'm looking for a really simple free mail server that can forward on these messages - to outlook I think on the same machine.
Tom te tom te tom