Re: [LUG] Yet again Torbay Council show their true beurocratic colours

On 23/10/10 08:57, Tom Brough wrote:

> For those that still think that public sector tries to help people .....
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying to you.
>
> I have checked this with the council's Health and Safety prime. Torbay
> Council does require charger units to have been PAT tested and would
> expect chargers and plug units to have a test stamp/ certificate.

Apparently Torbay Council hasn't bothered to read the guidelines of
the Health and Safety Executive. (Which arn't exactly hard to find.)

> Apparently the cost of inspection is a pound or two upwards depending on
> the electrician/ company used.

Nice little earner for companies involved. Which might go a long way to
explaining why lots of things which rarely (even ever) need a PAT test
wind up with lots of stickers on...

> The only alternative that I can see, if you are only bringing laptop and
> netbook equipment, is that you ensure it is fully charged so that you do
> not need to plug in at all.

Wonder what they'd say to bringing a fully charged UPS or a generator :)