Re: [LUG] Yet again Torbay Council show their true beurocratic colours

On 23/10/10 10:28, John wrote:
On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 10:15 +0100, tom wrote:

Just to play devils advocate.
1 fire, 1 person hurt. 1 ten minute phone call to
richbastardlawyerssueanythingthatmoves.com and thats the library closed.
Not so stupid stupid stupid.
Tom te tom te tom
Seriously, you didn't just justify idiocy like this on the grounds that
someone might sue?

/shocked

Or does my irony detector need recalibrating?

I was actually being serious - you must remember that when a bus stopped suddenly in NY 27 passengers claimed for injuries. Only 9 tickets had been sold - the rest got on after the bus was stopped and took up positions. You're in a job that has the sword hanging over it - one false move and your out of work. Someone has told you all appliances need a sticker and you don't even need anything to go wrong to loose your job - just someone to look at a plug and see there's no sticker. While I agree its madness its madness there's no way back from at the moment. What you gonna do - spend a fortune on someone to go around and point out the madness in these things or expect low level workers to, basically, take a decision that is tantamount to gross negligence if things go wrong. A potentially lethal problem has been identified, a potential solution has been implemented to sidestep it is plain crazy. This really isn't a health and safety issue - this is a legal problem. Balls out H&S all you want - its the legal side that's the problem - that and the totally crap management that exists everywhere in this country - and most of the world. There is little chance of realism without the laws being changed - and the people that run the show make a good living out of pushing people from the co-operative social organisation that would allow you to plug and play to a costly bureaucratic nightmare that fills their pockets.
This is part of the 21st century equivalent of Inclosures Acts.
Tom te tom te tom