Re: [LUG] Yet again Torbay Council show their true beurocratic colours

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 09:31 +0100, John wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 08:57 +0100, Tom Brough wrote:
>
> > I have checked this with the council's Health and Safety prime. Torbay
> > Council does require charger units to have been PAT tested and would
> > expect chargers and plug units to have a test stamp/ certificate.
> >
> > Apparently the cost of inspection is a pound or two upwards depending on
> > the electrician/ company used.
> >
> > The only alternative that I can see, if you are only bringing laptop and
> > netbook equipment, is that you ensure it is fully charged so that you do
> > not need to plug in at all.
> -------
> > When I have calmed down and had time to think about it, i will word a
> > very carefully crafted reply and CC to Adrian Sanders. At the moment the
> > words frustration and anger just don't cover what I am feeling.
> >
> > I'm pulling the plug on the 6th November meeting and will not be gracing
> > Paignton Library with my presence until these draconian dimwits stop
> > their bureaucratic nonsense.
> >
> > Tom.
>
> Isn't this one of those times where Health and Safety doesn't say
> electrical items need to be tested, but someone just gets carried away
> and implements far more than required.
>
> I am sure I read on the Health and Safety site someone linked a few
> weeks ago about common H&S mistakes/misunderstandings and one was about
> testing devices before use in work etc.
>
> Perhaps if you are crafting a reply that might poignant.
>
> --
> John
> http://subbass.blogspot.com/

You are absolutely right. HSE recommend an inspection each year by "a
competent person" which means someone who has the sense to say if the
PSU brick is cracked or the cable is frayed then it should be replaced.
For the most part visual inspection is enough.

Even if I could get PAT tests carried out for Â1 (where did she get that
figure from?) if I have 15 members turning up that's Â15 extra each
year. Stupid .. Stupid ... Stupid...

Tom.