Re: [LUG] budget cuts

On 20/10/10 21:07, Gibbs wrote:
>  On 20/10/10 19:20, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> now that we are starting to see the extent of budget cuts do you think
>> as a lug we can ALL step up a gear and get public services onto Open
>> source as a long term strategy,  perhaps the savings will offset some of
>> the cuts in services that are coming up
>>
>> I know some of us are doing this,  but I am looking at the whole lug to
>> do this, after all its you're local services that are going to get the
>> chop possibly,
>>
>> Paul
> For me it depends on what the £1,000,000,000+ on "cyber security"
> equates too.
>
> Gibbs

Probably buying the latest and greatest Microsoft security "bundle" and
the massively over priced government connect project that requires all
servers to be patched on a regular basis without necessarily explaining
why or asking if this is a good idea.

If you need to use secure encrypted email then train users to use
enigmail in thunderbird and set up a government pki server.

Tom.