[LUG] Cyber security was Re: budget cuts

On 20/10/10 21:07, Gibbs wrote:

> For me it depends on what the Â1,000,000,000+ on "cyber security"
> equates too.

The previous governments strategy is here....

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/216620/css0906.pdf

Largely devoid of content, basically they'll co-ordinate, educate, plan,
and train. I doubt things have changed much, many things carry on
between governments, since a lot of activities of government are just
things that have to be done.

What concerns me, and what is never spelt out in detail, is they are
clearly planning for offensive operations.

Whilst one needs to understand modes and methods of attack, the big
cyber security threats are asymmetric , where the techniques to defend,
and the techniques to attack are mostly unrelated, or even competing.

Some techniques like computer viruses whilst superficially appealing are
hugely risky, when the opponents edit the code and send it back. In many
other cases, like law enforcement, the good guys don't need to do it the
way the bad guys do. For example the bad guys can steal your documents
by sending you a trojan, the good guys can get a warrant and come and
collect it.

So I'm concerned that what is done for offensive capability might not
receive the same critical analysis that stuff done for defence will get,
and then someone will mess things up badly (i.e. we'll all end up as
collateral damage).