Re: [LUG] netbooks

On 13/10/10 11:24, tom wrote:
On 13/10/10 09:27, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, richard wrote:

does anyone have one of these or know if they are any good?
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/range/x10.html

Novatech's stuff is generally OK - the only issue I'd envisage here is
needing a separate USB cd-rom to install Linux with and the Wi-Fi chip
compatability.

Gordon

Its got 3 usb ports so poke it wiv a stick!
Alas its Intel and probably £50 more than the Arm equivalent if you can
find one!
Tom te tom te tom

That's the thing, the only ARM devices I seem to find are tablets, apart from I believe one low spec ARM netbook at Morgan computers (and it wasn't clear from their site if it's possible to replace the pre-installed OS).

At least Novatech give you the option to buy one without an OS (saving about 40 quid).

On the other hand, Aria have some Toshiba Netbooks (albeit with Windows) for under £200, not sure what they're like with Ubuntu, although saying that I'm sure Toshiba did have some netbooks running Ubuntu, at least back in late 2008 when I bought my laptop.

Rob