Re: [LUG] Large Backups - Advice?

On 11/10/10 19:16, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Gibbs wrote:

Hi all,

I've been assigned a task (in a couple of weeks) to automate the way
our company backs up its data.

Currently we have an inhouse server (Ubuntu Server 10.04), 2 computers
(one Windows Vista, one Ubuntu 10.10) and a laptop (Windows Vista
again sigh)... I have no expertise in the field of backups whatsoever
but I manage our nifty little server. We need offsite backups.

What I was thinking... Sync all computers to the server and then have
the server periodically archive (password protect?) then upload to
some remote location. I have no idea what the remote location will be
but I assume it would be relatively cheap. The computers syncing would
probably make the backup size in the region of 100-200GB? I can't be
sure yet but that's probably a reasonably accurate estimate.

So. Any advice, solutions or ideas?

Wot Simon & Grant said .... especially the bit from Simon about getting
the data back again!

Realistically, you can not get it back via the Internet in a sensible
time-frame for that sort of data.

Also, you can not send 100-200GB over the Internet every night - well,
not unless you've got a stupidly fast connection. Think in the region of
1-2GB per night on an ADSL line...

So... Have you thought about tapes. Seriously. We all talk about rsync
and using the Internet, but for that quantity data and ease of use,
tapes are a very viable alternative. Very trusted and well understood.

And reassuringly expensive, but how valuable is your data?

Pick a system that will handle at least 300GB natively (forget the tapes
compression ability) It will be SCSI.

A very quick search finds:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/storage/dltstoragedrives/Quantum/TR-S34BX-YE.html

LTO 3 is a bit cheaper...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/storage/ltostoragedrives/29763.html

For that you get 400GB uncompressed and up to 800GB compressed for just under a grand. Tapes are in the region of about £25 each.

LTO 4 on the other hand offers 800GB uncompressed and up to 1.6GB compressed, but the drives look to be nearly twice as much.

They are quick though, much quicker than hard drives and much more reliable from what I've found.

Looks like the drives tend to be SAS drives but I believe SCSI models are still available too.

I'd suggest 10 to start with, then a new
one each month as you create long-term archives.

I agree, if you're spending so much on a drive then you may as well buy a nice multi pack, brings the price on tapes down slightly.

Rob