Re: [LUG] 3G dongles was: Dial up modems

On 9 October 2010 21:41, Dan Dart <dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Bear in mind, t-mobile and orange are having a network merger at the
>> moment..
>
> This was between March and now. I hope tmob will be as good as orange,
> and not the other way round! company merger or just sharing the
> network?

The eventual plan is to merge Orange's 3G cells into the current
3/T-Mobile network (apparently their 3G network merger has just
finished), IIRC. So it'll be three networks sharing the same radio
access network, although T-Mobile/Orange may choose to merge the rest
of their networks too.

You can currently roam on GSM between one network and the other, but
it isn't a full integration (so you have to lose signal on one network
before it looks for the other, your phone may think it's abroad and
warn you about data costs, and it doesn't hand calls/data over when it
switches networks)

Shaun