Re: [LUG] Fwd: 'Super-fast' broadband announced

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Yep, seems a bit too cheap to me. At least Rutland's quote came out at just over £600 per house (which I'm guessing that maybe the residents would probably be willing to pay if they couldn't get any broadband at all).

Hohoho.... Don't you know that people want broadband as they think it's a right - you'll never get a punter forking out £600 for install, as I (bitterly) found out when we tried to run a commercial project in Buckfastleigh... We had over 100 people who put their names on paper, then less than 50 who actually wanted the instllation done - and of those many didn't bother to pay or their cheques bounced... Our install at the time was £99 when the real cost was closer to £300 by the time we paid for the kit (outdoor Wi-Fi kit), bits & pieces and a man to climb a ladder and install it.... Then the running costs - we charged punters £25 a month - multiply that by 50 and it's £1250... Running costs of the network were ~£1000 a month just to pay for the fibre, the bandwidth and rental of mast and building space to put the kit on... That didn't leave much to pay the staff or run the office...

I really do hope that Rutland, etc. have thought this through.

Gordon