Re: [LUG] Devon pretends to listen

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM, tom brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27/09/10 23:59, Rob Beard wrote:
>> On 27/09/10 22:48, Grant Sewell wrote:
>>>
>>> Exeter has its own City Council and is still listed.
>>>
>>> Grant.
>>>

>> Has that gone through yet?
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Exeter City Council were going to go from borough council to unitary
> status. However after the preliminary meetings the election was
> announced and the final decision was put on hold (as I understand it).
>
> Given the economic situation, I would hope that common sense would
> postpone it at least until the economy is in better shape, but we are
> talking public sector here. Being involved in Torbay Unitary for 10
> years I seriously doubt that the unitary model works for small
> geographical areas, it was a great experiment but with limited resources
> it just dilutes effort.
>
> Tom.
>

> --

I sent in the following....

"Use FLOSS computer software. FLOSS = Free Libra and Open Source
Software. *There are no license fees*.

There are every concievable type of software application freely at
your disposal. These range from the simplest of text editors (like
notepad) right through to complete Linux operating systems.

This includes word processors, spreadsheets, accounting packages,
project management, mind mapping software, source control etc etc
etc....

It should be noted that many open source applications are available
for Microsoft Windows machines. For example the web browser Firefox or
the office suite openoffice.org.

Good luck :-)

Best wishes
Roland Tarver
Paramedic Student"

If that does not make sweeping changes throughout councils nationwide,
I don't know what will ;-) haha.

Roly :-)