Re: [LUG] Software Freedom Day -

On 20 September 2010 08:07, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19/09/10 19:45, Paul Sutton wrote:

> 2. Somewhere more central e,g Exeter which is easier to get to for
> people in other parts of Devon.

Exeter or Plymouth if you want to do anything big.

If it is intended to draw people in they might wander to the centre of
one of those, they may not seek things out.

Central location, or somewhere with people (i.e. University - Plymouth
combines those two). I like Sandy Park but likely to be expensive, and
there is nothing to do "as well".

Maybe Exeter Central Library, they have a lecture theatre for hire.

Presumably the newly refurnished RAMM (aka Exeter museum) may well have
a suitable room, might be better all round!

Event in my diary (strictly that is diaries).

With all due respect, living in Torbay and locating, checking out venues, organising exihibitors for an event thats happening in a location 20+ miles away is not really feasable. If I had to do 2 or 3 trips (yes thats what it took for the St Annes Hall Babbacombe event 3 years ago) to get equipment and troops  to the venue that would be the day gone before I started. The event was a total waste of time as nobody (but us local lug members) turned up.

I agree that a location more central with good infrastructure would be better, but I can only work with what I have, in this case this has to  be somewhere in / near Torbay. Now if someone who lived in these more central areas was to volunteer to organise such a venue that would be a different matter.

At the moment Paul Sutton and I are looking into checking out the new Paignton library "hub" rooms as a potential venue. OK its A380 and Kingskerswell and the parking charges down here are prohibitively expensive, and I will probably be £100 out of pocket by the end of the day,  but what else are we to do? I know if I leave it to anyone else (with a few exceptions) NOTHING will get done.

Tom.