Re: [LUG] £32K a day to run a website?

On 12/09/10 08:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Birmingham city councils, that is ...
>
> http://www.ukwirednews.com/news.php/89458-32-000-a-day-for-council-website-as-26-000-face-job-cuts
>

> I'm sure it's not quite that - I'd suspect/hope that that was for a lot
> more of the ICT services in B'Ham, but even so - it's an awful lot of
> tax payers money to give to a private company!

No. It's true.

http://www.headstar.com/egblive/?p=256

What's more, when capita launched the site, it wasn't accessible or very
easy to use.

@stef scraped the site and rebuilt it in RoR and then ran hackdays to
help make the website work for the people who wanted to use it.

This is the Birmingham DiY website.

http://www.bccdiy.com/

This is why I think we need sensible people networking and talking to
elected officials and civil servants and sensibly helping them
understand their options. :)

Tim