Re: [LUG] Size of /proc/kcore

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Simon Waters wrote:

Keith Abraham wrote:

AFAIK this is the file that gets dumped by the kernel when there is a crash. Like all /proc file it isn't a real file but i suppose it has to be represented as very large just in case the memory dump is huge.

As far as I know it is usually exactly the same size as physical RAM, plus a very small fixed size header.

Just to add confusion to the issue ;-) It's not an area I've really tinkered with, but on my 32-bit Atom desktop, it's 1065349120 bytes. I have 2GB of RAM and 2GB of swap configured.

Gordon