Re: [LUG] Size of /proc/kcore

Keith Abraham wrote:

AFAIK this is the file that gets dumped by the kernel when there is a crash. Like all /proc file it isn't a real file but i suppose it has to be represented as very large just in case the memory dump is huge.

As far as I know it is usually exactly the same size as physical RAM, plus a very small fixed size header.

I'm trying to figure out if the 128TB is a bug, or a feature, this ought to be easy to determine.

Since one would expect to use the file with gdb, I'm tending towards bug, but I haven't tried using gdb on it yet to see if being 128TB breaks gdb.

 Simon