[LUG] Available_clocksource in 2.6.32

When compiling a kernel what affects available clock sources?

Trying to resolve an issue with a virtual machine that doesn't keep good time. One workaround in the Debian Wiki is to set clocktime to "jiffies" another is to set it to "pit", this would be good if either were available to chose from.

Specifically the file:

/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

Lacks the options I would like to use.

I assume the content of this file varies with the kernel compilation options, the system has a bespoke kernel that claims to come from Ubuntu with vendor supplied hacks. I have a config file and a description of how the bespoke bits were added in, and suggestions on how I might use Debian stock kernels in this environment (planning to switch ASAP, but would like to understand fully clock issues before braving other things that will almost certainly be more complex).

However for 2.6.32 kernel on AMD 64 bit processor, what affects the contents of available_clocksource?

Have these options been removed, or are they missing because the current settings refer to apparently inappropriate KVM or Paravirtualised clock features?

Is there anything better than reading the source here, and if not which bit of source to start with?

 Simon

Found a good document describing PC time keeping in general, but we aren't using a VMWare virtual host, so the details aren't relevant.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf