Re: [LUG] Cal - calendar program

On 07/09/10 20:35, Simon Waters wrote:
On 07/09/10 08:45, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Is there a new version of cal out?

I doubt it ;)

Any cal experts out there?

I doubt that as well.....

"cal -s" for start of week is a GNU cal (gcal).

BSD cal uses "-s" to specify country for Internationalisation.

Sounds like you've had GNU cal on some systems and BSD cal on others.

GNU cal is much more extensive, and probably more buggy, but it does
attempt to get the right answer all the time unlike BSD cal.

Unless you need historical calendars or correct Internationalisation the
one in Debian package "bsdmainutils" is probably sufficient.

If you care enough to ask the question you probably want the GNU cal
packaged in "gcal".

I don't think I've used cal in years, but it is nice to know their is
competition to do it right, even in something so apparently simple.

  Simon

Thanks for the info. As I have already said, I have installed ccal, which is a colour version of cal, and that works how I want it to.

Neil