Re: [LUG] Fwd: Power play

On 04/09/10 13:20, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 13:10:33 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

   'Dr Gaurav Khanna has no less than 16 Sony PlayStation 3 consoles
working together to create a super-computer which he says rivals the
power of more than 200 conventional PCs.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11168150

Using Linux no less :)

Julian

I'm not sure Sony would want to hear this... didn't their most recent
"Over the air" firmware update stop the built-in ability to run Linux
anything other than Sony's PlayStation OS on it?

Grant.

Yep, although it looks like some hackers may be able to get round this with a nice little USB device exploits the console and effectively turns it into a debug console (which gives lv2 access which is what the 'GameOS' runs at). There have been rumours that it might be possible to run Linux with lv2 access (effectively replacing the GameOS) giving Linux access to pretty much most of the hardware even on a PS3 Slim.

Of course the hack has just been released in the past couple of weeks so it'll probably be a few months until anyone has anything running.

Suffice to say I'm still running Firmware 3.15 on my PS3, haven't found anything that requires a firmware above 3.15 (yet) and I don't play online so I've not upgraded yet.

Rob