Re: [LUG] creative commons license

On 31/08/10 23:46, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 31/08/10 11:07, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>> With regard to releasing photos as creative commons should I embed the
>> appropriate a cretive commons logo on each photo so people know its
>> released under that license.
>
> Where are the images going to be catalogued?

I am just taking photos of the rugby (adult) teams at the rugby club,
so games, and squad shots, these are copied off camera to my $HOME
folder then burnt on to cd,  i can then give the cd to the webmaster for
use on the club site.

I just want credit for my photos, e.g Photo By Paul Sutton for example.

I don't mind people using them as long as i get credit. (not much to ask
is it),  If I ask verbally then it may happen, if I release under an
attribute licensem, then it

1. Puts this in writing
2. Promotes creative commons in general

i can put the license text on in the folder i burn to the cd / dvd,
perhaps also create a lable with the appropriate creative commons logo
onit.

> If say Flickr, just assign the relevant licence to them on Flickr, and
> others will know when they find it. Also make sure your details give a
> plausible indication of who to attribute, can be frustrating to say
> "photo courtesy of <embarrassingorstupidflickrusername>", when you
> probably want "Paul Sutton" or something similar.
>
> Other photo sharing sites do much the same.
>
> Also be sure to tag the image appropriately, so people can search for it.
>
> Maybe worth embedding the information in the EXIF data if you are keen.
> There are some tools for bulk editing EXIF if you are interesting in that.
>
> Flickr don't make it easy to waive all your rights to a photo, but there
> is a public domain group.
>
> Mangling the image will just make it less attractive to genuine users.

I agree,

> Those who'll abuse your copyright will do it anyway, but since it costs
> you merely an attribution you aren't hugely poorer if that happens.

Well i am not looking for payment anyway, just attribution.

> If you were trying to make a career as a professional photographer you
> might feel differently if someone swipes an image without due credit,
> but then probably better to load it to one of the big professional image
> catalogues who have an army of lawyers on call to make sure you get
> credit and cash as appropriate, but most of those are pretty choosy
> about who contributes as they want only top quality photographs.

I don't want to go down that route,  however I be taking a photo of the
squads and would like to sell copies to raise funds for the teams, I
guess if people want to pay for 1 copy and then they scan / copy it then
they can and If they do they do so in the knowledge they are denying
funds to club teams.  If they can afford a few beers at the end of the
game they can afford

1 a4 photo and say 4 quid a photo for a team of 20 people is like 80,  I
can buy a lot of equipment with that.

Paul
--
Next Paignton meeting - Saturday 7th September 2010 - 3pm Lighthouse,
Paignton, NOTE - to be confirmed

SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2010
SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2010  - LIGHTHOUSE, PAIGNTON