Re: [LUG] GIMP 2.7

On 31/08/10 16:42, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 31/08/10 16:32, Gibbs wrote:
Looks pretty good so far to me.

The new "single window mode" seems to be getting a lot of flack but it's
a good idea to me. If I have to do some quick work on a netbook for
example it will come in handy. I'm sure it will please the Photoshop
crowd and people who use lesser OS's (the Photoshop crowd) that don't
have decent window management (i.e. not Linux). Besides it isn't enabled
by default so what's all the fuss about?

I think the coolest feature I've found so far though, which nobody is
raving about, is the ability to have multiple column docks (as well as
the traditional rows).

The only annoying thing is the Save As/Export nonsense. Why can't I
export from Save As and vice-versa? Seems like a step backwards to me so
I'm hoping that doesn't make it to 2.8

agreed I can't even find the export function,
Has anyone had a play around with GIMP 2.7? Thoughts?

Gibbs

I think the single window mode is mainly of use to the more demanding print user rather than web designers.

The single window enables the use of tabbed docked dialogs rather than separate windows. This IMHO and that of others speeds up workflow and doesn't have windows open all the time which aren't in use at that moment. This may not seem to mean much to the casual user of Gimp until you do a lot of work on images and then the benefit is clear.

I always save in Gimps native format (.xcf) as it contains information that isn't contained or is lost in compression (e.g. Jpeg) when using other formats. One can confidently load a saved image knowing that all your previous work on the image is still there. It's only when the final version is ready that it is exported to the format the clent requires. Again this is something the casual user isn't aware of.

I've been using Gimp for the last few years and don't find the new single window mode unnecessary. On the contrary I find it fits my natural work method.

Keith