Re: [LUG] Accessing SqlServer and/or Access from Linux

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 13:02 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 28/07/10 09:36, tom wrote:
> > Been a few years since I done this (5) - has MS managed to make it
> > harder or can one still get to ones own data relatively easily?
>
> You can access Sql Server certainly, I think we use ODBC at work, but
> all hidden in the Perl libraries used.

Here, for Linux+Perl access to MS SQL databases, we use freetds +
unixodbc + DBD::ODBC.

Under Ubuntu/Debian you need the unixodbc and tdsodbc packages installed
and then run

odbcinst -i -d -f /usr/share/tdsodbc/odbcinst.ini

to register the tds driver with unixodbc. After than you should be able
to use any ODBC software you need although I've only tried this from
perl myself.

No idea about Access.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.