Re: [LUG] Shutting down kubuntu

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 20:50 +0100, Simon Robert wrote:

> I did stick sudo infront of shutdown -r now and it is because I was not
> asked to enter a password that I think that the process doesn't get as
> far as executing the command. I'll try some of your other ideas

I don't know if I am misunderstanding the problem, but putting "sudo" in
front of a command running from a panel/menu/etc will not ask for a
password afaik. Sudo is for in terminals, where it will ask in the
terminal for the password. If it isn't run from a terminal it has no
means to ask you. Hence using gksudo (for gnome) or kdesudo (for kde)
will create a pop up window on screen asking for the password to be
input.

Its the panel/menu Shutdown that is broke ?
Currently you are successfully shutting down in a terminal with "sudo
shutdown" ?
You edited the command that the panel/menu shutdown normally runs ?

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/