Re: [LUG] Broadband via satellite

On 29/07/10 16:54, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> So, generally not very good then. Slow and expensive. Just wondered. It
> seems that nobody would use it unless forced to. That being so, there is
> not much likelihood of much improvement in the near future (because
> there are not many users, so not worth while for anybody to spend time
> and money on research).

For geostationary satellites the main issues are speed of light based,
and the theoretical physicist in me thinks they could spend a lot of
money researching their way around that one.

Bandwidth from satellites is competitively priced, even cheap on the
down-link, since the technology for high speed satellite data is well
established, and once it is up there it is all solar powered. So "slow"
is the wrong term, it is high latency. Of course for things you are use
to doing that make lots of round trips for (like web browsing) high
latency means slow - although good websites try and minimize these kinds
of round trips since they make pages slower with any technology. It is
not that hard to change a web-server so that all the data in a web page
is delivered in one hit if you don't care too much about bandwidth
costs, so solutions exist - perhaps I should start marketing some?!

Indeed some of the multicast distribution networks were using satellite
last time I looked, if you want the same streaming data over all of the
USA or all of EMEA, and latency doesn't matter much then satellite is a
good technology. Think distribution of data for video on demand services.

> Is that a fair description of the current situation?

There is huge money being spent on satellite communications, but mostly
by the military (ours and the US amongst others).

We've had at least three major companies try and fail at the low earth
orbit satellite to satellite communications business. Search for
ICO-Teledesic for background.

The big problem is the nearer you get to the ground, the more satellites
you need for the same coverage. So the costs escalate fantastically as
the latency decreases, and the more satellites the more complex the
routing topology and the faster the routing tables have to update. The
prime market are mobile people a long way from, or unable to use,
existing static infrastructure. Which means basically the military,
ships, rigs, aircraft. Our military are doing it themselves (well paying
for a commercial solution as a consortium).

My guess is that if this ever becomes a realistic technology it will be
piggybacked on top of military infrastructure. Like GPS, it is unlikely
commercial operators could be sure of recouping the huge investment, but
if the military do it via a private consortium they'll have an interest
in having the consortium sell it to reduce the exorbitant costs.

Also there is interest in high altitude balloon and solar plane
technologies for relaying communications, but probably these will only
help is specific local comms cases - think really big pop-concerts,
battle field comms, where lots of comms needs to be deployed. The kind
of situation where mobile companies deploy temporary base stations already.

One thing that needs bearing in mind, is that solar activity can impact
satellite comms. We don't know what the impact of a coronal mass
ejection like 1859 would have on modern satellites. Sure serious men in
white coats have done their best to make satellites as robust as
possible, but useful data on the 1859 event is pretty scant, and
obviously no man-made satellites were in orbit at the time.